Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Top - Take Two!

This shirt came to me in a vision. Kidding, kidding. But I did lay in bed last night and plan it out in my head. So of course, as soon as naptime rolled around this afternoon, I had to get it out of my head or lose my mind.


I'm so happy with how this came out. It's so, so comfy and will go with so many things in my wardrobe. The main fabric is from a gigantic white sheet I found in my hopechest. I have no idea where it came from, but it has a super high thread count, so it's soft and silky and drapes so nicely. I ended up lining this, it was a bit see-through! The neckband and waist-tie is Heather Bailey Nicey Jane.

I used three different shirts to make the pattern, and then just figured out the rest as I went. I actually took my time and carefully planned the construction, so I think I only had to use my seam ripper once. That pretty much never happens.


I shirred the waistband with three rows of elastic thread, so it's perfect for hiding lumps... Here's a picture without the tie...I think I'll end up tacking the waistband down on the sides, I think it ties (no pun intended!) the whole top together.


I'm having so much fun with these tops, and I'm in awe of all the amazing entries in Spring Top Week so far - if you haven't already, go check them out.

Molly

3 comments:

  1. very nice! and yes, the tie pulled everything together - it made the top more girly.

    Bette♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love this top. I love the shirring on the sides. What a fun detail! The belt is adorable and pulls it all together.

    I too sew like a maniac during nap time. It makes me a better mom, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like this shirt the best! it is SO cute! I love a white shirt and the accent neckline and belt just make it pop. the shirring on the sides is genius. though this does NOT look like a maternity shirt, that is one feature I loved with my maternity shirts - the shirring on the sides, it made it look less "tent-like". This definitely gives it shape while still keeping one's imperfections camouflaged! great job!

    ReplyDelete